Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Laugh Until You Cry

Every Tuesday for the past three years we have been going to my wonderful in-laws home for "Game Night." We don't always play games, mostly because I always beat Ryan and he gets mad. We really just get together to spend time with one another. I have to say that it is the best day of my week.

We play all kinds of games: Canasta, Clue, Phase 10 (I HATE this game, because no matter what I do I can never win), Sequence and now my new personal favorite, Scrabble. We always seem to have a good time (until I win) and laugh a good bit. We have laughed so hard at times that many of us shed a few tears.

No matter how many times I hear Ryan laugh, I can not get enough of it. He laughs so loud that I think the windows will shake. I LOVE IT! I love hearing him laugh more than anything. He has such a wonderful deep laugh...it starts out slow and then gets all kinds of worked up. I love to watch him laugh...sometimes he gets so tickled that he laughs until he cries.

My very sweet husband has a hard job. It might not be the most difficult job out there, but he has to work from sun up to sun down six days a week. He works out in the hot sun in long sleeves, pants and work boots. He works in the cold wind, spraying people's yards with water and fancy bug killers.

I feel sorry for Ryan because I know that he does not like his job. I love my job! I get up every morning with a smile on my face because after all these years I have a job that I love. It might not be something that I can do forever, but for right I enjoy it. Ryan, however; gets up every morning dreading going in and doing his job. So on Tuesday night, I enjoy listening to him laugh and forget all of his troubles for a few hours.

As Christians, we don't get up with a smile on our face. We get up and dread the day because someone is sick or out of a job or something worse than I can even imagine. Why can't we get up with a smile on our face enjoying the day the Lord has given us. Aren't we supposed to give praise to the Lord with every breathe we take? How can we do that if we don't have a smile on our face?

I have a personal belief that if you smile and laugh you can get through anything. I know that some things in life are not funny and it is hard to smile through them. But if you have faith in the Lord it will be a little easier for you to smile and eventually laugh through the hard times.

1 comment:

  1. Nikki,I loved your blog! First, not only do we have the 'love of movies' in common (though Matt and Jessica put us both to shame, I'm sure - grin!)...but Scrabble is my all-time favorite game (words...go figure!) I'm not exactly that great at it, but I love it nonetheless.

    Second, one of my personal life blessings is certain individuals' laughs. At the top of my list is hearing Wayne's laugh (the bigger, harder the laugh, the greater the blessing!). I've lost the laugh of my mother-in-law (who past away 2 years ago this Valentine's Day). She had the second best laugh that blessed me immensely. Believe it or not, Jason's deep, uninhibited, totally unreserved belly-laugh is # 3 on my 'best laugh ever' list. It's just that it's usually costly - at one's own expense - to get that! (grin)

    Third...I LOVE yours and Ryan's spirit! Individually and together. Your love for the Lord 'shines forth' in the choir, your love for each other naturally emotes from you both, and your 'complete surrendered servant's hearts' come through as you perform through drama! Love you both dearly already!!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete